Din Tai Fung (Arcadia, CA)
It is no secret that I come from a family of foodies. On a recent trip home to southern California, my father presented me with an Excel spreadsheet of Jonathan Gold’s 101 best restaurants of 2013. Even though I had already gone to Din Tai Fung, I wanted to explain the glory of soup dumplings to my parents.
- Staples of tea and dipping sauce with fresh julianned ginger
- We had two types of soup dumpings: crab with pork and plain pork
- I really loved the fried pork chop! We also got Chinese broccoli
- The shrimp shimai was surprisingly soup filled! Mom didn’t know, popped the shrimp off and spilled it all over the place.
- An order of chow mein
- My brother thought the sesame steamed bun looked like a boob, that is his finger trying to poke it.
- Very messy and very rich, I couldn’t finish it.
- Taro dumplings! Also very rich and starchy, I could only eat one!